I love my sister.
1. I love how I feel during and after excercise. WHY the HELL can’t I get in a better habit of doing it?
2. I bought an enamel platter at the flea market today for 8 bucks. I love it. It inspired us to have lobster for dinner tonight. YUM!
3. I read the best book about life and death today. Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles. It is for kids/teens and it is wonderful. I cried through the last probably 10 pages. Not from just sadness but from the extreme simplicity and beauty this author used to convey death and living and family. There was nothing flowery or overdone. Just brilliant. One of my favorite quotes…
“It takes courage to look life in the eye and say YES to the messy glory.”
If you read the book you will understand how perfect it is.
4. I would like to be a better friend. Friendships are a whole topic in and of itself. I am not a very good friend. Never have been. I rarely remember birthdays, send cards, get good gifts, I rarely call people just to talk. I wonder why. Hmmmmmmm…
5. My husband is the blueberry picking MAN. We already have 4 bags of frozen goodness stacked up in our freezer. I love blueberries.
6. Sufjan Stevens, fantabulous singer, check him out. Listened to his song…To be alone with you…on my walk tonight. Beautious.
Remember the anticipation of knowing that the Sound of Music was going to be on T.V. Usually around Thanksgiving or was it Easter? I loved it then but not as much as I do now and not as much as my oldest daughter. I think she has watched it more than 20 times but less than 50. So much that she knows a lot of the words to the songs and when she just turned 3, she would act out the scenes to the songs on CD. She loves it so much that yesterday when we were listening to the CD in the car and we got to the instrumental part, I turned it and Ella said, “Mom turn it back I love this part. This is the part when Maria gets married”. Of course I turned it back. One night when I was putting her to bed after watching part of the Sound of Music before bed she said, “Mommy, I wish I could BE IN the Sound of Music”. She asks questions out of the blue, like why is the Captain so mad, grumpy? or why is Maria scared during this song? Her favorite children are all of them, but she gets a silly smile on her face if I ask her if Fredric is her favorite. Could he be her first crush? NO…that was Francesco from Zoom. I love watching her watch this movie. Best of all is knowing that this was her grandmother Mona’s favorite movie.
“Together now….Doe a Deer a female Deer, Ray a drop of golden sun. Me a name I call myself, Fa a long long way to run, So a needle pulling thread, La a note to follow SO, Tea a drink with jam and bread which will bring us back to Doe, Doe, Doe, Doe”.
Let’s see we had a chance to show off our space over the weekend. During the week, I have had a chance to be envious of other’s living situations. On Tuesday I had double whammy. We met up with some of Steve’s friends at StoryLand in Glen. They were finishing up vacation and heading home to start the move from Manchester to Cape Cod. They are buying a house one mile from the ocean, surrounded by family. (Deep sigh emitted here.) Then we stopped by to visit our friends Jen, Justin and Eli, who treated us to a royal evening on their boat/float/ slice of heaven. Pizza, beer, and swimming on a beautiful night in a beautiful spot. Then tonight we had dinner at Duane and Shelly’s house. Beautiful, big, all finished, clean, neat, huge rooms with air conditioning. All of these things made me envious. But only in a good way. It is nice to have these friends in great places. We only win.
We hosted our first big Party at the barn this weekend. I love parties…
10. One tent is never enough for a really good party.
9. It pays to have a relative who has worked in the rental business.
8. People don’t drink soda or water when there is beer and wine.
7. Cornell Chicken Marinade makes SUPERIOR BBQ Chicken.
6. Clown RULES! Never underestimate your stone mason.
5. Definitely hire a band for your party…but you must allow them proper wiffle ball time to keep them happy.
4. Hire a band to keep all the women happy. But just make sure it is an all male band with a really good looking young man with dark hair and blue eyes.
3. Rain makes a party.
2. Dancing in the rain makes the party even more.
1. WE have the best family, friends, stone mason….EVER!
Post Script: Never tell your spouse about your crushes because he will throw you under the bus. love you baby.
We are having a party on Saturday. The best things about Parties are
1. They force you to clean your house. Not just surface clean but really clean. Underneath the stove. Move furniture that you never move to sweep and vacuum. It’s good.
2. People. Love seeing unrelated people relate. Work people, relatives, kid friends, all forced to talk to each other.
3. The gossip afterward with your spouse. “Did you hear that so and so said this…” “Did you see when so and so did that…”
Our Stone Mason’s band is playing. I have never heard them before but they should be fun. I love our stone mason. Neil Young, Bob Dylan, the Clash, 50s/60s stuff and their own stuff.
We will see how it all plays out. I love parties.